Friday, July 24, 2009

Sleeping on a empty stomach in a neurotic head


(Astronomy Picture of the Day)

I dreamed I was in an airplane in space. The inside looked like a house and for a while I sat on a closed toilet seat reading a fashion magazine while my young Asian mother gave birth to a baby boy. She already had twin baby girls but I was not allowed to see them. I would not be allowed to hold the boy either, and this made me angry. A friend and I were supposed to take a road trip but the convertible would not start.

Back in the plane. After the boy was born there was word that we were in danger and could not land. Something mechanical had gone awry. Technicians and engineers worked around the clock to fix the problem, bent over wiring in a wind tunnel near the cockpit. Meanwhile food and utensils were running short. All the bowls and spoons were perforated so it was impossible to drink liquids. The crew and I took the last giant metal bowl and poured the last box of cereal in it (Chex) with the last of the milk, which had to be watered down because there was not enough to drown all the cereal. We scrambled to consume the last bits of sustenance on the airplane, crowded around the bowl. Draco Malfoy was there, sulking because nobody liked him. I thought that because we were all going to die, that I would show him some kindness so I offered him a bit of my cereal, which he eagerly accepted.

Suddenly I bit on a chunk of glass. It cut my mouth all over but I managed to spit most of it out. There was still a bit stuck in my right back molar, crushing it’s way into the indent of a cavity hole. It sounded like chewing on sand, the sound reverberating in my eardrums. The pain was indescribable and I screamed and screamed. I shoved toilet paper into the back of my mouth and bit down, blood flowed out in a dark, dark heavy mass. Someone called a doctor, but when he arrived he said that I had insulted him, and he would not help me. He led me to a dark metal room littered with inflatable exercise balls. The pain went on. I sat upon the balls, which deflated under my weight into oblong shapes. One turned into an inflatable slug, leaving a trail of sludge that later turned into tiny multi-colored beads. No one came to help me. I walked to the window and raised the blinds and outside was a breathtaking scene. I saw the moon gliding across space leaving a sparkling trail like a shooting star. The giant globe of earth was spinning and dancing amongst a backdrop of bright stars and space dust. I ignored the pain and focused on dying in the dark room with the beautiful view.